Friday, September 17, 2010

Lucky to be Good or Just Good to be Lucky

I was driving back from Regina just the other day and I was amazed at all the intersections and approaches that were signalized.  "What the Hell are you talking about, that would be ridiculous!" my passenger expounded. Well I said the Province must believe I am either a very good driver or that I am just lucky that I don't get hit every time I make a left turn across the two lane highway with traffic zooming by at 110-140kph. Why should this come to mind well... I was driving West bound on College Dr coming from Sutherland and wanted to head south on Circle Dr.  What do I come upon but a signal light for left turns that is red and what is it protecting me from????  Is it the empty roadway in front of me? Is it the one or two vehicles that pass by in the next minute?? or is it the 30-40 vehicles that come SCREAMING by at 80-90kph?  (50% slower than on the highway)

It appears the City believes me to be a very unlucky or an inept driver.  These lights, and they exist in other areas of the City as well, do only one thing and that is frustrate drivers in the city that are just trying to get from point A to B without lining up behind 20 cars at a red light that does nothing.  I have come to the realization that our Traffic Engineers are a bunch of control freaks.  All I ask is they follow the same guidelines that obviously the Highways department follows.  Judging distance isn't that difficult we have to do it every day and if you can't do it you shouldn't be driving in the first place. Traffic flow should be paramount in their minds but it obviously isn't. 

So what's the resolve???? Well I would like to see the light removed but if they don't want to just do that then maybe they could look at slowing the traffic on College to 60K surely I could make a safe turn then??? 

BTW this interchange was is the worst designed piece of roadwork I have seen anywhere in my travels and adding a couple of red lights did nothing to enhance traffic flow. 

1 comment:

  1. Time for the city to buy and install more of the "high collison" signs. The signs cheaper than simply designing intersections that actually work to avoid collisons. Ouch! I have to get my tongue out of my cheek.

    ReplyDelete