Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Is the CIty of Saskatoon Responsible for every Accident!

We probably all heard yesterday about the tragic accident in the Eastview neighborhood that resulted in the death of a 22 year old man.  What I can't understand is how the people living there are complaining that the "City" needs to do something about that part of the roadway in order to get people to slow down.  Reports I've heard is that there have been 10 accidents over the last 11 years there, although I am not sure the severity of each, this averages out to less that 1 a year.  I am sure there are other areas of the city that have a much higher incident rate and could use revamping before this road.  It is not the design of the road or the posted speed that is causing these accidents it is the drivers themselves.  I drive this road often and I don't need the city installing some kind of  "traffic calming" device such as speed bumps, concrete pillars and/or a round-about like the useless one installed on Boychuk (after 2 young offenders slammed a stolen vehicle into a house).  Maybe what needs to be done is to evaluate the way Drive's Ed is taught in this Province.  I saw in today's SP that the Saskatoon Public School Division is celebrating the 50 yr anniversary of teaching driver's ed.  So maybe its the way new drivers are taught that leads to these regrettable decisions, many involving drivers of the younger age.  Driving around Saskatoon I often wonder, as I am sure you do, where many of these people get their license.  It would appear to be harder to get a fishing license.  Maybe it is time our Government began a system of monitoring the teachers/testers, thus finding out if there are problems in those areas.  I would also be in favor of mandatory re-testing every 5 years for all drivers.  This is done in many US states.  Yes this has a cost but SGI makes millions from licensing fees every year and what do we get, a couple of ads on the radio and in print to tell us to drive safe.  We need a proactive approach to what is happening on our streets and putting up obstacle courses for safe drivers is not one I would be in favor of.

No comments:

Post a Comment